Sunday, December 28, 2008

Fad Aversion


I will admit that I do have a certain aversion to following a fad. For instance, I just started watching Survivor two seasons ago. And I never learned how to knit when it went around in the 90s. I didn't read the Twilight series until this fall. It's not that I'm against whatever the 'thing' is, it's that I don't want to jump on the bandwagon. So I take my time, and years later when it is safely out of fashion, I decide to give it a try.

So begins my quest to learn how to knit. It was prompted because my 8 year old daughter learned how to knit this year, and I can't help her when she gets stuck. My 7 year old son can also knit himself into a holey, lop-sided frenzy. Newsletters come home from elementary school about the virtues of this previously feminine-only art, and we don't even go to a Waldorf School.

As I do with many other questionable ventures, I invited my girlfriends to join me in the fun. It turns out that there are quite a few closet want-to-learn-how-to knitters in my little group. Lots of other moms figured they'd give it a go. We have naturally discussed our complete lack of free time, along with wondering when we would ever sit still for long enough to knit a whole row, but alas we are up to the challenge. The challenge being finding a time when all of us can attend class at the same time. But I have faith that we will spend the time together, knit a few scarves and drink a few glasses of wine in the process. Isn't that really the point?

10 comments:

Jen F said...

I want to learn to knit too! Can I join you?

Stacey Hager said...

I'll let you know when we pick a time. It will most liekly be during the school day...

nelsoneroni said...

I like this idea, and I have a mantra for our new little group:

All together now:
Knit One. Perl Two. Drink Three Sips!
Knit One. Perl Two. Drink Three Sips!

Stacey, we may need to arrange for hubbies or partners or taxis to pick up the kids at school!

Stacey Hager said...

we can get the green taxi to pick us up and then swing by school to get kids too! Throw something in the crockpot so we won't have to cook when we get home. I like.

Alto2 said...

While you're enjoying learning to knit, read Kate Jacobs' "Friday Night Knitting Club". It will inspire you.

Stacey Hager said...

on my way to the library today, I will give it a try. thanks for the tip.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I'm sure at some point I will not jump on the knitting bandwagon too!

I'm digging your upper sidebar picture of the parking lot mamas - too cool!

Andrea said...

My best friend knits. She even teaches a class and yet I've never found the time to learn. I may like it this way since I always get the best gifts from her - something knitted of course!

brandyismagic said...

Good luck lady! I attempted to learn a few weeks ago and failed miserably. I suspect however, this had to do with the fact that I focused more on the wine consumption than knitting instructions. ;)

High Desert Museum said...

Join our knitting group! We've taught a lot of new knitters. www.meetup.com/bendknitup